[Edu-sig] trails through the ecosystem: language sequence

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 22:53:14 CEST 2015

> I'd say you've got even going on the language
> side with this point to start tackling DB world and
> its SQL/noSQL APIs.

"...got enough going"...

Influential on this little essay was OSCON 2015, just finished.

The big takeaway for me was big enterprises have finally bought
in to the open source paradigm not just as an inventory of free
tools but as a style of working that produces results.

Management is retraining to make the internal development
environment look almost the same as the public open source
development world (same tools, same techniques, same
small "two pizza teams" with committed committers).

Instituting these practices, including sharing and maintaining
one or more open source projects, as a way of throwing one's
hat in the ring, is not just a way of improving inhouse productivity
but of way attracting a productive brand of geek, the kind used
to working with these tools to begin with.

So we had Walmart Labs (first time), standardizing on Node.js + a lot
of noSQL (e.g. Cassandra and Mongo), and PayPal (again), which is
all about Apache Inside (talking the whole ecosystem of Apache
Foundation projects, a lot of them ever more mission critical within
the enterprise).  PayPal calls in "InnerSource" i.e. using Open Source
internally.

Pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/albums/72157653861631353/page1

Kirby