[Edu-sig] computers and schools

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 23:14:38 CET 2014

> To paraprase Churchhill: Schools are lousy ecosystems for learning but
> we haven't found any practical better systems yet.
>
> How successful has the OLPC-project actually been? Any evidence beyond
> quotes and ideas from SciFi "The diamond age" ;-) ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Christian

You bring up a good point:  home schooling is actually verboten in some
countries.  Including in Germany? Really?  I didn't know that.

The late Arthur Siegel used to post eloquently on this list about how
14 year olds stand to benefit much more from activities *not* involving
a computer.  Riding a bicycle for example.

But then having a smartphone talking in your helmet about which way
to turn, especially in a strange city...

But then who's in a strange city at 14 one may ask.  Well, many 14
year olds don't know their own city.  Learning local geography is a
worthy goal, with an eye to mastery and getting around autonomously.

If computers (including smartphones) might help with that, so much
the better.

OLPC:  I'm not expert.

I think many children have been grateful for these electronics but not
many were reached compared to the number who might have enjoyed
the boost.  A drop in the bucket.

The common wisdom about OLPC is it helped some kids, plus Sugar
Labs and the hardware design teams, reaped substantial benefits in
terms of getting to prototype tomorrow's "best of breed" technologies.

>From my point of view if you have a safe "home alone" environment
then great: problem solved in your case.

Given the number of homeless runaways not seeing a safe study space
anywhere on the horizon, the work for NGOs I support is ongoing.  If
governments are in any position to assist with high tech, then lets think
of high tech as more than a laptop.  It's a safe personal workspace.

Schools fit the bill if they give students space to be individuals with
private space and time.  Some do.  Many don't see that as their role.
Many are more like prisons which specialize in "all or nothing" i.e.
you're either never alone, or you're in solitary.  I'm not looking for
those extremes for average work / study students just seeking
better lives for themselves.