[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 116, Issue 4

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Sun Mar 17 15:57:30 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Jeff Elkner <jeff at elkner.net> wrote:

> Lee, if you are looking for a classroom teacher to try out pyguin in
> the classroom, sign me up!  I'll have it installed in my lab on
> Thursday, when I return, in any case.  It rocks!
>
> Now a question:  how difficult would it be to get pyguin to output svg
> images?
>
> Jeff Elkner

Jeff's notion that one should be able to save at least some turtle art as
SVG files seems brilliant to me.

Unless I'm mistaken, most turtles simply change the state of a bitmapped
canvas and have trouble even reading single pixels after that (e.g. what
color is 300,201 -- not easy to know).

Moving to SVG would be like moving to Postscript for output. Non-trivial.

I agree with Jeff, one could develop an application wherein turtles to add
to an SVG file under the hood, allowing output that scales.

On Googling, I found this project that was (is?) moving in that direction:

http://codeboje.de/pysvg-meets-trundle-turle/