[Edu-sig] Teaching Math with Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 09:51:18 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Dan Peirce <peirce.dan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I came across an old story at
> http://onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2000/10/04/pythonnews.html
>
> about  Teaching Math with Python.
> Unfortunately the links are now broken. Is there more current
> information available?
> Any online publications?

I'm fixing these links for ya, thanks for dredging that up.  Ah, but this
is Rich Text, I forget what happens to the URLs in the edu-sig archives....

>From the article:

"""
Urner is writing curricula for teaching math using Python. The world of
textbooks and the educational system in general is too excruciatingly slow,
though. Urner has taken his curriculum to the web with the Oregon
Curriculum Network <http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/>, a web publishing
platform and model for other curriculum developers. This site is a blessing
for home schoolers and rogue educators looking for an alternative math
curriculum. In February he started with a four-part article on Numeracy and
Computer Literacy <http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/numeracy0.html>. In these
articles he covers analysis of number series, vectors, primes, and random
movement through a matrix. All of these are backed with examples in Python.
Inspired by some new features in Python 2.0 (zip() and list
comprehensions), Urner has published this month ideas for teaching Precalc
with Python 2.0 <http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/precalc.html>. He uses
Python to bring clarity to precalc formulas and uses POV-Ray to bring them
to life.
"""

(History:  Internet Arena, my ISP at the time, up and left with no notice,
leaving many links broken).

Here are those URIs again: