[Edu-sig] Drs. Fotis Georgatos's MSc thesis

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 01:38:50 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Dan Peirce <peirce.dan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the Page http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig/
>

> Under Academic Papers   there is a link to “Drs. Fotis Georgatos's MSc
> thesis, How applicable is Python as first computer language for teaching
> programming in a pre-university educational environment, from a teacher's
> point of view?”
>

> http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0809/0809.1437.pdf
>

> On the third page of the thesis it says “Each word of this thesis is
> plagiarized. I have never generated a single word myself.”

I took that as a joke; very few people invent new words, so we are all
plagiarizing in that sense.

Here's what he posted on this very list in 2008!

=====
Hello *,

since I occasionaly get people interested in my MSc thesis
that was written long ago (2002) - people even reference it but,
it's rather hard to get the original being somewhere in Amsterdam -
I hereby inform you of its electronic presence at arxiv.org:

arXiv:0809.1437 [pdf]
    Title: How applicable is Python as first computer language for
teaching programming in a pre-university educational environment, from
a teacher's point of view?
    Authors: Fotis Georgatos
    Comments: 135 pages, 20 tables, 10 figures (incl. evolution of
computer languages)
    Subjects: Programming Languages (cs.PL); Computers and Society (cs.CY)

Abstract:
This project report attempts to evaluate the educational properties of
the Python computer language, in practice. This is done by examining
computer language evolution history, related scientific background
work, the existing educational research on computer languages and
Python's experimental application in higher secondary education in
Greece, during first half of year 2002. This Thesis Report was
delivered in advance of a thesis defense for a Masters/Doctorandus
(MSc/Drs) title with the Amstel Institute/Universiteit van Amsterdam,
during the same year.

André