[Edu-sig] learning algorithms

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:56:25 CET 2011

I recommend 'Mathematics for the Digital Age and Programming in Python'.

http://www.skylit.com/mathandpython.html  (definitely go with the
Python 3 edition, don't trip up on eBay)

It's obscure, it's esoteric, it's used at some of the best schools in
the country (and no one is stopping others from using it).

It steers toward RSA (an algorithm) about which much literature
exists, including for teens, most prominent of which is probably

In Code by Sarah Flannery

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Mathematical-Journey-Sarah-Flannery/dp/1565123778
 (lots of good buys)

If he gets into it, then lots more where that came from, including me
in some Python.tv video (sounds like some grampa, complete with dorky
photos)

http://4dsolutions.net/ocn/rsa.html

Other background also at my site, plus I know a guy who works for the
company that puts hardware RSA chips in cable TV boxes (DirecTV uses
that -- or did, I may be out of date on the specifics, plus haven't
been a subscriber for some time, despite the dish still pointed
skyward ** ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_decryption

Kirby

** http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/4835451138/  (note dish
to the left -- blind as a bat).  I have access to other neighborhood
homes though (bars etc.), so it's not like I miss everything HD.