[Edu-sig] Math UI

Mark Engelberg mark.engelberg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 09:10:14 CEST 2011

You say the student has a tablet computer.  Don't tablets have an
e-ink mode where you can write the same way you'd write on paper?  If
so, then just write it out the way you would on paper.  Supposedly
Windows 7 has built in handwriting recognition for formulas, and there
are third party programs that piggy back on this capability (e.g.,
MathType).  I haven't tried it myself, though.

If that's not an option, I think you need to look at either LaTeX, or
possibly LyX as a friendlier front-end.

Things like Sage, Microsoft Math, and MathPiper are good tools for
solving equations, but I don't think they will be of much use in terms
of giving your student a way to write out the solving process by hand.