[Edu-sig] (egyptian fractions...) the turtle part: chaos.py

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 00:34:39 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Gregor Lingl <gregor.lingl at aon.at> wrote:

> Hi Kirby,
>
> it's fine that you "host" a slightly amended version of chaos.py
> on your website.

Thanks Gregor.  I've also got John Zelle's graphics.py in the docket.

Having any backend code is a somewhat new idea.  I'm trying
to keep a toe hold for Tk, as Eclipse is regarded as "heavy" and
if we didn't need widget programming, it'd probably be gone.

I think Tk widget programming is valuable exercise with many
transferable skills, for times when you're using other widget
libraries.  Gives important insights into IDLE as well, which
for better or worse is still what many use out of the box.

We had threads here earlier about dropping IDLE from the
standard distro and swapping in something for leading edge.  No
candidates came forward though, vindication of Tk in a lot
of ways (as a cross-platform solution).

> The original file is part of the demo that ships with Python and
> the turtledemo has been moved into  the Lib-directory of the
> standard distribution.

I've done very few experiments with turtles on the OST server.
None of the current Python track courses require it.  Tk, however,
is used.  In principle, the turtle stuff, including chaos, should run.

My problem is when I run chaos, I'm left with an open window
in the background that I can't seem to close.  This is launching
from inside Eclipse, which is usually pretty good with Tk
applications (a major focus in the 2nd course, mixed in with
SQL).

> Some of these demo-scripts suffer from (more or less minor :-) )
> quirks or deficiencies and could be amended in this or that way.
>
> I think that such amendments should go into Python 3.3. So if
> you or anybody else have any ideas, complaints or - as shown here -
> propositions or results, please let's discuss them, so the turtledemo
> can obtain not only a demo- but also an enhaced educational value.

I have no complaints.  Just wanting to keep Tk on life support, as an
aspect of a curriculum I'm helping shape.

If we use graphics.py, it'll probably to do some black and orange
brick patterns like in New Kind of Science (Wolfram).  I'm already
doing all 256 rules in "ascii art".  Quoting from a console:

import sys; print('%s %s' % (sys.executable or sys.platform, sys.version))
C:\Python\python.exe 3.1.1 (r311:74483, Aug 17 2009, 17:02:12) [MSC v.1500
32 bit (Intel)]
import ost
from ost.nks import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "\\beam\software\Python4\site-packages\ost\nks.py", line 6, in
<module>
    from lifegame import Sensor
ImportError: No module named lifegame
import ost.lifegame
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "\\beam\software\Python4\site-packages\ost\lifegame.py", line 8, in
<module>
    from farmworld import Farm, Tractor, wordplow
ImportError: No module named farmworld
import ost.farmworld
import ost.lifegame
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "\\beam\software\Python4\site-packages\ost\lifegame.py", line 8, in
<module>
    from farmworld import Farm, Tractor, wordplow
ImportError: No module named farmworld

Getting nowhere here.  This is a student server and may not have my latest
commits to CVS.  Sorry...

Kirby