[Edu-sig] Anyone interested in discussing the turtle module?

Gregor Lingl gregor.lingl at aon.at
Wed Jun 1 23:37:58 CEST 2011

Hi Jeff,

I think Corey's solution is the canonical one and quite ok.

Just a few remarks concerning the your problem and the turtle module.

1. The present solution for the turtle.Screen() window was introduced by
Vern Ceder for the previous module (as far as I rembmber) and had to be
retained for upward compatibility reasons.

2. I'm also finding the inability of turtle.Screen() to take screen size
arguments
a deficiency. So you could propose your idea to the python issue tracker
(or if  you prefer I could do this also). This will be relevant for
Python 3.3 only
but I'm definitely interested to implement additions and amendments like
this.
(According to the Python 3.3 release schedule, this must be done until
June. 23rd 2012 (!). This should be no problem.)

3. There is (at least) one more way to adjust the initial screensize,
namely by
putting an appropriate entry into a turtle.cfg file. You can customize some
more properties with this file). See

22.1.6.3  How to configure Screen and Turtles in the Python-Docs:

http://docs.python.org/library/turtle.html#how-to-configure-screen-and-turtles

I used this for my book "Python für Kids" where I wanted a consistent
appearance of the turtle window.

4. There are essentially only two classes to be used from the turtle
Module.

So if you want to work object-based, it is possible to do this by

from turtle import Screen, Turtle

I found this to be a bit less verbose and also useful in order to avoid
confusion of
module turtle and class Turtle. (I think to some degree this is a matter
of taste)

5. Probably you will stumble about some other weird features of the
module or
have some bright ideas for amendments or you will have some more questions
converning turtle.py. I'm definitely wanting to discuss these with you
and others.
Perhaps we could arrive at a still better turtle module for Python 3.3.
(But please keep in mind the compatibility requirements for modules in the
standard library).

Best regards

Gregor Lingl