[Edu-sig] py tutorials with some educational interaction

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Sun Jan 9 05:05:17 CET 2011

Yes rst/sphinx is nice for tutorials.  I just used it to  transform my
Hands-on Python Tutorial in the last week:

http://anh.cs.luc.edu/python/hands-on/3.1/

Jurgis, Google does a fair approximation I think, when automatically
translating you tutorial to English.  At least it is smart enough not to
mess with the code itself.

Andy

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Jurgis Pralgauskis <
jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> during the hollydays I put up some nice system
> to quite straitforward build tutorials...
>
> the tutorial is written in kind of markdown (this could be changed easily)
> http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/knygute/_sources/intro.1.txt
>
> and then it is converted to rst/sphinx like
> http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/knygute/intro.1.html
>
> Features:
>  * automatically computes outputs/results of examples (I havent' found
> such feature otherwise)
>  * adds interactions (via sphinx template js injections)
>   at the bottom of each code block there are 3 buttons appearing on hover
>
>    - 1st I'd call  "syntax trainer by repeating" (for beginners it
> should be very good)
>    - 2nd -- toggle off/on prompts and output -- for copying example to
> editor
>      which I didn't found around sphinx (3 lines of jquery actually)
>    - 3rd -- integration with http://people.csail.mit.edu/pgbovine/python/
>
>    - I also used turtle graphics to introduce function -- and I like this
> idea
>
> http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/knygute/intro.3.functions.html#funkcijos
>
> any comments?
>

> Tutorial is in Lithuanian, but you can understand most by examples...
> I was writing it with absolute beginners in mind --
> somehow I didn't find  easy enough english tutorials.
> thinkscipy is a bit steep in my opinion...
> maybe you could indicate some, or maybe I'ts worth translating mine
> into english?
>

> Best regards
> --
> Jurgis Pralgauskis
> Don't worry, be happy and make things better ;)
> http://kompiuterija.pasimokom.lt

Dr. Andrew N. Harrington
  Computer Science Department
  Loyola University Chicago