[Edu-sig] Using try / except: any stipulations against routine use?

Christian Mascher christian.mascher at gmx.de
Thu Dec 15 19:18:44 CET 2011

>> On the other hand,
>>      res_dict[ext] = res_dict.get(ext, 0) + 1
>>
> Isn't this at least as readable, and conceptually simpler?
>
>     if ext in res_dict:
>         res_dict[ext] += 1
>     else:
>         res_dict[ext] = 1

I haven't done much coding in Python lately. And I found this much more
readable than the .get method which I forgot about. I positively didn't
understand the oneliner just by reading it over and over again.

Of course I could easily have opened idle and looked up the .get method
online (or looked in a manual).

The really good thing about Python is that so much of the core language
doesn't surprise you. One is able to write code which is understandable
even to people with very little experience or to yourself after not
coding in Python for years. Nobody has to write such clear-cut code all
the time, but at least it is possible with very little effort.

Christian