[Edu-sig] revisiting old themes (OOP meets abstract algebra)...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:34:34 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:39 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quite a bit of Python in this essay (link below), relating to math teaching.

<< snip >>

> http://www.mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7223356&tstart=0

Continuing along in the same thread, linking directly to plaintext to
preserve indentation, with the unfortunate side effect that the other
guy's input has no line breaks.  Sigh:

http://www.mathforum.org/kb/plaintext.jspa?messageID=7226167

Nothing too original.  Always appreciating Guido's slick
implementation of GCD (shorter than what's in MFTDA).

I'm also daring to use 'me' instead of 'self' for the name of the
instance handle.  I see good pedagogical reasons for doing this,
including to provoke a first person point of view in object modeling
(i.e. "I am a..." versus "It is a..." -- as in "I'm a little teapot,
short and stout...", a good beginning for OO-style thinking).

I'm also showing off a Compose type the sole purpose of which is to
allow functions to be composed using the multiplication operator.  I
have my reasons...