[Edu-sig] Joining my first SIG

Andy Judkis ajudkis at verizon.net
Sun Oct 24 13:09:46 CEST 2010

Hi Zac (et al),

I teach 10th graders a course called Principles of Computer Technology
that includes about 4 weeks of programming at the end, using Python.  We
always start with about 4 days using RUR-PLE, which I think is the cat's
pajamas, and then go on to using IDLE to do some simple stuff.  This
year for the first time I did a 'getting to know you' project using
Scratch, and I'll be interested to see if that exposure helps them grasp
the basics of Python a little quicker.

Also, last summer I took a seminar on Media Computing with Mark Guzdial
(amazing guy, if he went into politics I'd vote for him in a heartbeat)
and am considering introducing some of that material.  For me, the
tradeoff is that the media computing projects are really cool, but the
Jython environment is not as friendly and I'm afraid it may be
discouraging given the short time we have to work with.  Anybody have an
opinion on this?

Thanks,
Andy