[Edu-sig] 'discovery learning' with Python...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:25:12 CEST 2010

Related links:

http://www.acm.org/press-room/news-releases/2010/education-paradox
http://www.acm.org/news/featured/acm-pcast-statement

The idea of a new "digital math" track alongside the current "analog math"
track (leading through calculus) is different language than CinC's rhetoric
(Computing in the Core), but the goal is the same:  raising topics in
computing (not just keyboard/mouse and Internet skills) to the same
level as the rest of mathematics in terms of counting as "core".

That this acronym STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics)
is now explicitly including computer science is what the 2nd link is about.
Some math teachers were ridiculing the acronym as more edu-speak **,
but hey, everyone uses acronyms and abbreviations.

Kirby

** http://www.mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2154964&tstart=0

My thanks to Bill Marsh for the above links (Math Forum debater)