[Edu-sig] AP Computer Science

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 00:47:10 CET 2010

Unfortunately, many High School teachers act like a bunch of lemmings
worried about results and all do the same thing every year in lock step
- one of these time honored traditions being prepping for or teaching
to the test.  This will continue regardless of the delivery language.
I've been teaching AP Computer Science since it started in 1984 using
Pascal.  The same thing went on with Pascal, C++ and Java.

The focus of the AP Computer Science course right now is Object
Oriented Programming (OOP).  We teach these students about classes,
methods and objects; constructors, accessors, mutators and instance
fields.  We emphasize the 4 pillars of OOP: encapsulation, abstraction,
inheritance and polymorphism.

I don't teach to the test, never have and never will.  However, I do
give them samples of MCQs and FRQs they are expected to master through
out the year.  I do this in AP Computer Science A/AB, AP Calculus AB/BC
and AP Physics C Mech/E&M.

I have heard rumors about a move from Java to Python, but I don't think
its more than a rumor at this point!

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College