[Edu-sig] programming skills and IQ tests..

Bill Punch punch at cse.msu.edu
Thu May 6 18:57:59 CEST 2010

There are a number of papers on the topic of measuring programmer
aptitude. In general, I would strongly recommend looking through the
Psychology of Programming Interest Group (PPIG, http://www.ppig.org).

One paper in particular attracted a lot of attention about 4 years ago:
"Testing Programmer Aptitude"
(http://www.ppig.org/papers/18th-dehnadi.pdf). It was controversial at
the time but was followed up sometime later. Have a look at the author's
web page: Saeed Dehnadi
(http://www.eis.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/) for his followups

Another article that tries to measure aptitude is Jeff Kramer's article
on abstraction (in the Piaget sense) as a measure.
(http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.120.6776&rep=rep1&type=pdf)
though see the following for a, kind of, rebuttal
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1138430).