[Edu-sig] Confused how teach geometry and importance of teaching geometry in 21st century.

Jeremy Gray jrgray at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 04:39:08 CET 2010

well, there's future usefulness and practicality to motivate your
homeschoolers. and there's also in-the-moment fun, beauty, and joy of doing
it. check out Strogatz's recent New York Times column:

"I bet I can guess your favorite math subject in high school.

"It was geometry.

"So many people I’ve met over the years have expressed affection for that
subject.  Arithmetic and algebra — not many takers there.  But geometry,
well, there’s something about it that brings a twinkle to the eye."
see the full article at
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/square-dancing/

beyond being cool, maybe geometry helps develop spatial imagery and
visualization?

--Jeremy