[Edu-sig] source code from SA:10648

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 22:41:44 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM, John Posner <jjposner at optimum.net> wrote:
> On 7/16/2010 9:59 AM, kirby urner wrote:
>>
>> ...  Using print as a function is optional in 2.6 without
>> importing anything special.
>>

> Kirby, I believe you're confusing these two invocations:

Yes, you're correct, that's precisely what I was doing.

> * Using the print *statement* with a single argument (or expression)
> enclosed in parentheses.
>
> * Using the print *function* with a single argument
>
> Using multiple arguments clears things up:

I'm glad we're touching on this at length, as people
flooding into our pool find themselves waste deep
with backward / forward compatibility issues, and
may fall for the same self-deception I did for a moment.
For another response, see:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2010-July/010040.html

Our class concluded today, although I still have some
paperwork to send in, will do that in a few minutes.
I've got an initial blog write-up here, planning another
follow-up post likely later today, also uploading to
Photostream.

Today we talked about RSA a lot, played my silly Google
video, a rambling blather through group theory etc.
(8+ mins).  We also wrote generators for cuboctahedral
numbers and Fibonacci's, both times going of Encyclo-
pedia for Integer Sequences.  If that sounds like a total
geek out, it was.  Also screened two cartoons.

One student got file sharing to work between his hosting
and guest operating systems on VirtualBox.  Another
got his random forest of cylinder/cone VPython objects
to work.  I lectured at quite some length on the history
of the Internet as a succession of protocols, though I was
somewhat vague on the sequence:  smtp, nntp, ftp, http...
whatever (this was before screening 'Warriors of the Net',
one of the two cartoons).

I'll return to post a link to my followup post.

Kirby Urner
4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html