[Edu-sig] Gearing up (Python course...)

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 14:37:07 CEST 2010

Wow, Kirby, thanx for sharing all that you do!

I am relatively new to python, but not new to teaching with
technology.  I've been teaching computer math and computer science
since 1975.  Often times, however, I have done so in a vacuum.  It's
nice to see what others are doing in this vein other than myself!

I am a math teacher by trade, but some how was fortunate enough to be
involved with this sort if curriculum too.  That said, I do teach math
in these courses but these are courses geared toward new programmers
and an intro to syntax and semantics whether it be functional or
object based programming.

In fact, this coming year I am starting a new course where math comes
first but is python based.  I will be teaching a Calculus Lab using http://www.sagemath.org
. So, your descriptions of curriculum and pedagogy re pythonic math
are most enlightening!  If interested, please see the link on the
right side of my blog entitled "Calculus Research Lab"

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
Baldwin SHS & Nassau CC