[Edu-sig] Math + Python: reviewing some themes (long)

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Sun Jan 31 04:32:53 CET 2010

michel paul wrote:
> Recently I've found Sage <http://sagemath.org> invaluable for the
> purpose of getting computational thinking into the math curriculum.
> I've spent the last year figuring out how to harness Sage in class,
> and it is paying off.  The difficulty with a pure Python approach has
> been that it seems so foreign to everyone from kids through
> administrators, it doesn't look like anything that gets tested on
> state standards, and it seems like 'hard work' when we already have
> these nifty hand-helds that graph any function you want.  However, the
> power of Sage blows any graphing calculator, even the new Inspires,
> out of the water.  Simultaneously, you can program in pure bare-bones
> Python within Sage.  So I have found it invaluable to capitalize on
> the power of Sage to serve as a way to introduce into math classes the
> value of the ability to think in pure Python.
Nice graphics is definitely a key requirement for any tool I would
consider in an introductory course.

I'm not familiar with Sage, but I wonder if adding a few packages to
"pure Python" would do the same.  I'm looking now at NumPy and
MatPlotLib in a proposal for "Introduction to Scientific Computing",
currently taught using C with some addons for plotting.  The class is a
joint effort between our Astronomy and Physics departments.

The advantage of Python/Numpy/MatPlotLib is that what students learn of
Python will be useful beyond just math and science.  I think of Sage as
just a replacement for MatLab, not something I would use in programming
my mail server.

Anyone with experience using these tools?

-- Dave