[Edu-sig] Could there be a new test, call it AP something else?

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 25 15:36:07 CET 2010

Litvin wrote:

> What might this new exam be like?  CS with no programming and no
> math?  We'll see.  My guess is, if it eventually comes about, it will
> be a no-specific-programming-language exam, which will simply replace
> the current AP CS exam in Java.  I believe two AP CS exams will be
> untenable.

I can't imagine teaching or testing CS without an actual language.  A
much better alternative would be to have the same test in multiple
languages (perhaps with a "handicap" factor for the students choosing
Python, so they don't have an embarrassing advantage :>).  If you find a
problem that is not easily translated to another language, that is a
clue that the problem is about cruft, not fundamentals.  I would
volunteer to do the Java to Python translations.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *