[Edu-sig] Math and Python: level of difficulty

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:08:38 CET 2010

I would very much like to see this efforts expanded to earlier ages and
stages in math development. I work with kids as young as three and on, using
Scratch with them. They learn so much from programming, from coordinate
thinking to increments and "gentle calculus" (e.g. that you program speed as
the change in distance). Functions, grid reasoning, co-variation, equations
and variables are just a few examples of Early Algebra topics that lend
themselves extremely well to the programming approach, and become accessible
to five-ten year olds who program.

If any of you are interested in under-ten Math Club crowd (meaning middle
and high school "everybody"), please let me know so we can join efforts. It
would be nice to write it all up as a coherent resource.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.