[Edu-sig] Why Python?

calcpage at aol.com calcpage at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 03:51:48 CEST 2010

As a Computer Science teacher, I am used to teaching my students a
number of introductory languages before they get to AP CS.  I am never
satisfied with just one approach.  I am going to dump all that in favor
of python next year.  So, if Computer Science teachers end up using
python, I will be in the odd position of teaching only python for 2
years of High School.  You know, that wouldn't be all bad, my students
would then have a lot more experience with python before the AP exam.
As a Math teacher, this scenario is also appealing as I would have more
time fo math topics too (Discrete Math or Pythonic Math)!

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://calcpage.tripod.com

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College