[Edu-sig] thought re graphing calculators ...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:01:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Gregor Lingl <gregor.lingl at aon.at> wrote:

> Strategy of escalation? Arms race?

Not so much.  There's nothing on the other side.  Will anyone do this
manually?  Is that what "correctly" means?  More likely they mean
something like "symbolically" which is akin to "just imagining
something without really doing any of the work" (so no contest, I walk
away happy).

The ability to brute force these data points with a self-feedback
circuit governed by various expressions, is for computers and
computers only.  Humans by themselves aren't even in the game.  At the
very least you'll want an abacus, or lowly calculator if you're a nerd
(snicker).

> from turtle import *
> from decimal import Decimal, getcontext
> getcontext().prec = 50
>
> k = Decimal('3.9')
>
> N = 250
>
> That's what I meant with (in principle)
>
> Gregor

Yes, I understood.  But what's the principle?

In my curriculum, we worship nature and physical phenomena a lot more,
so this imaginary thing where you imagine the same curves out to
infinity, but don't actually plot anything, who worthless is that?  To
think, people actually get paid for such daydreaming.  Amazing.