[Edu-sig] Django thread from Diversity list

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 00:47:15 CEST 2009

Here's a thread from diversity at python.org, archived here for easier
linking (open archive).  The connections to education are multifarious
e.g. PBS has web sites for teachers running in Django.

Mostly I'm thinking high schools are going to design more around an
inhouse intranet (not outsourced) so that year books, school plays,
sporting events, all go to a central repository.  If it's more like
GeoDjango, then you've got some core infrastructure for "place based"
education, a theme in my blogs, maybe even with immersive videos ala
Google Street Views?

The thread itself speaks to the diversity of the Django community,
stressing its friendliness and openness to not-Django and not-Python
developers.  For example we had lots of input from a Smalltalk guy
(keynote).  As the followup makes clear (by James Bennett, a core
player), this is somewhat of a tradition with DjangoConf, and a good
one.

Some of you will have already seen the below as we have some cross-enrollment.

Kirby