[Edu-sig] Elevator Demo for Python

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 22:24:17 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Phil Wagner <pwagner at hightechhigh.org> wrote:
> Often I am asked for a quick demonstration about the power of Python,
> sometimes for people with no computer science background. What can I show
> them that doesn't take too much time but gets the point across that Python
> is a good fit for math/education?

The two Python-programmable tiles in Turtle Art, one for expressions,
and one for arbitrary programs that can be created and tested in
Pippy.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Turtle_Art#Programmable_Brick
http://tonyforster.blogspot.com/2009/02/using-python-blocks-in-turtleart.html

I just gave a presentation on this and Pippy to a group of children,
parents, and teachers at Silicon Valley Code Camp.

I need to write an article on all of this with math, physics, and
Computer Science examples, and share it here. For example, I have a
graphing program in TA, where users can change the function in the
Python tile, and if necessary the ranges, and graph any function. We
can work up from there through the Pippy examples, Sugar Activity
source code, and on up to NumPy and SciPy.

Of course, we can do much the same with Smalltalk, Logo/LISP, APL/J,
and other languages that provide decent numeric capabilities (built-in
or through libraries), and also sufficiently flexible data structures.
I leave the argument about which is Best to others. My notion is that
all children should be exposed to at least three or four languages of
radically different kinds. I would prefer not to raise another
generation of programmers with nothing in their toolboxes other than a
single hammer, no matter how big. %-[

"I invented Object-Oriented Programming, and C++ is not what I had in
mind."--Alan Kay

"The best way to predict the future is to prevent it."--Alan Kay

http://earthtreasury.org/