[Edu-sig] more card play

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 06:26:37 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 19:44, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:37:54 PST, Edward Cherlin writes:
>>>
>>> Why?  Especially when _dice_ seem to be the preferred way to teach
>>> this stuff?  (Or is this only here?)
>>
>>I'm including the rest of the world, not just the US. I expect issues
>>to be raised by Evangelical Christians, Muslims and others in various
>>countries. Dice might be easier, because casting lots is mentioned
>>with approval in the Bible. Certainly we can come up with equipment
>>that is not associated with common taboos.
>>
>>> Laura
>
> I wasn't clear, sorry.  Around here (Sweden), when you want to teach
> probability, you get out the dice.  That's how it is taught, and
> how all the exercises are set up, etc.  I'm really surprised at
> the notion that cards would be unacceptable, while dice would be
> fine.
>
> I know some people who would be strongly against both, seeing both
> as gambling devices, and I know some people who every year are
> opposed to the dice and who would find cards unobjectionable.
> I hadn't thought that people who like dice but hate cards exist.
> Do you know some?  Or are you guessing that they must exist?

Guessing that they might exist.

Certainly there are people who like ordinary cards and dice, but not
Tarot. I'm one of them. The cards themselves normally don't bother me,
but I have had issues with people who got into the practice.

> And
> if the latter, why?
>
> Do you use something else to teach probability?

All sorts of things. Coins, Othello pieces, dice (4-30 sides), cards
from various decks, dreidls, wheels of fortune, spinners, socks in a
bag, colored balls, pseudo-random number generators, random number
generators, letter distribution in texts,...

http://www.earthtreasury.org/