[Edu-sig] mentions of Py on Math Forum....

Fri Jun 5 23:00:46 CEST 2009

kirby urner wrote:
> I haven't tried 3.1 yet, have been using dictionary versus list to
> harp on the cardinality vs. ordinality distinction (per Midhat
> Gazale), understand there's a "new kind of dictionary" that has
> ordinal properties....

You really should.  The io module went to C, so simple file I/O is
substantially faster.  It had been slowed down to make sure the
semantics were all correct for where the Unicode and where the bytes
should be.  There will be no fixes to the 3.0 line, 3.1 is the
ongoing Python 3.* version (3.1 was a quick follow-on to address
issues discovered in the 3.0 release (think if 3.0 as a Python 3000
alpha or beta).

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org