[Edu-sig] Fwd: python publication

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:49:56 CEST 2009

Missed sending reply here too.

My little crew is celebrating "bucky's birthday" today, with the usual
defiant fireworks, kinda "north korea" in that way. :)

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-buckaneer-talk.html
(ritual polemics)
http://www.portlandpiratefestival.com/  (in September)
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2006/07/july-four.html  (flag wavy)

Buckaneers in Portland include Trevor Blake.  I mention him in today's
blog post (above).  His connection to the Portland Python community is
through Esozone (a geek hangout -- esozone.com, also Backspace).

In terms of academic-flavored papers, it's OK to bypass the journals
as you'll still get peer reviewed in the blogosphere, plus are more
likely to find your real peers (scholarly journal publishers are
mostly way behind on topics like Python, hard to find any apropos).

I like the idea of sharing with Cherlin of course, as XO is cutting edge.

Here's a recent example of "academic flavored" (circulating among
Jordanians among others (just because of who I've been meeting with
more)).

http://www.4dsolutions.net/presentations/holistic_siliconforest_ver2.pdf

I've been tracking the Europython threads some, but if there's an
education-relevant thread someone *on the scene* wants to start, I'm
all eyes and ears.

Kirby

PS:  I thought this one from Slate was remarkably mean-spirited and ungeeky.

Like *of course* we want/need a multiplicity of operating systems, the
more the merrier, so go Google!

This nasty unfriendly attitude towards diversity seems more prevalent
in less sophisticated corporate cultures, anti-cosmopolitan,
illiberal.  Just my take.  Maybe he's just a loose cannon.
http://www.slate.com/id/2222564?nav=wp