[Edu-sig] Topics for CS2

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 06:33:14 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM, David MacQuigg
<macquigg at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:
> I'm putting together a list of topics for a proposed course entitled "Programming for Scientists and Engineers".  See the link to CS2 under http://ece.arizona.edu/~edatools/index_classes.htm.  This is intended as a follow-on to an introductory course in either Java or C, so the students will have some exposure to programming, but the Java students won't know machine-level programming, and the C students won't have any OOP.  For the proposed course, we will use the example programs as a way to introduce these topics.

Earth Treasury might be interested in working with you on this, if you
are willing to have it distributed under a Free license in multiple
languages. We are working on teaching Computer Science ideas in an
age-appropriate manner on the OLPC XO starting in third grade, or if
possible earlier, using Smalltalk, Turtle Art, Logo, Python, and other
powerful tools, and continuing through 12th grade at least. We will
also be using the XO's digital oscilloscope capability (Measure
Activity) to teach science and engineering.

The outline of our project, with the names of our confirmed partners
and a few prospective partners we are talking with, is at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks. We will have more
announcements of partners, resources, projects, and so forth fairly
soon.

> As you can see from the very few links to completed examples, this is just a start.  Many of the links are only to discussions on this list, and I really appreciate the suggestions I have received so far.  Also, it is far from a representative survey or optimum sample, rather just a random sample of topics that I found interesting.  Some of the topics may be out of reach for students at this level, but that is the challenge.  Figure out a way to present a complex or theoretically difficult topic in a way that is simple and intuitive and will whet the students appetite for further study.
>
> Additional suggestions are welcome.
>
> -- Dave

And Children are my nation.