[Edu-sig] Many Laptops per Adult

Sun Jan 11 19:38:24 CET 2009

gerry_lowry (alliston ontario canada) wrote:
> If the idea is shared laptops, probably a single laptop configuration would suffice for the following reasons:

That's a very nice idea, as long as you figure out how to make me
right-handed, convert my eyes to 20-20, and fix my former
colleague's color-blindness.

   Some customization is (or should be) portable, and it is, in fact,
necessary.  When I was younger, I used the smallest font that I could
read, in order to get the most letters on the screen.  In essence I do
that now, by choosing a high-resolution display and picking a font
carefully for legibility.  The letters are larger now in absolute terms,
and _much_ larger in pixels, so I suffer with web pages and applications
that think they know what size text takes.

"One size fits all" is short for "one size fits all that fit."

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org