[Edu-sig] Many Laptops per Adult

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 23:44:42 CET 2009

So I met with an Eee guy @ Chaos place this afternoon, talking about branding:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3182546603/in/photostream/

Given the XO is so identified with OLPC, we were talking MLPA perhaps
-- many laptops per adult.

The idea is you check them out from work, differently configured per
the job at hand, e.g. sometimes you're presenting about Apache on
Linux, other times about Apache on Windows, so might have a "stable"
of laptops.

I'm not saying every adult cares to have all these laptops, just its a
way to market separately from OLPC without muddying the waters.

The Eee is an Intel box, doesn't have to run Windows, or maybe get a
Dell preloaded with Ubuntu as your other top choice (closer to my
configuration).

Of course both OLPC and MLPA need funding sources, sponsors.  I expect
the UN will keep thinking of ways to jump in.

Here's some more pro Django stuff on PPUG list (somewhat apropos, in
terms of demoing Apache to lifers in cube farms):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/portland/2009-January/000538.html