[Edu-sig] project Euler

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 12 12:58:50 CET 2009

At 05:37 PM 2/11/2009 -0800, michel paul wrote:

>This is a pretty cool site:  <http://projecteuler.net/>Project Euler.

>It reminds me somewhat of <http://javabat.com>JavaBat.  There was some discussion earlier about doing something similar in Python?

I'm still working on "PyBat", in my spare time :>).  Interest at the University seems to have died out.

I'll have something to post in the next few days, I hope.  This will be a package of little programs to run on your own computer, rather than through a website - not as pretty, but it actually has some advantages in getting students to work with real programs and tools, with unit tests as part of the program, not tucked away in the internals of the website.

Project Euler is very cool!!  JavaBat has a different focus.  I think of it as "batting practice" rather than intellectual challenge.

I like the collaborative effort on Project Euler.  We could do something similar with PyBat, increasing the number of topics and the number of problems on each topic, until we have covered all of Python.

-- Dave
* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg       Tucson, Arizona 85710          *