[Edu-sig] Significant drop in CS interest in high schools

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 19:16:23 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:27 AM, kirby urner<kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Edward Cherlin<echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> << SNIP >>
>
>> I am working on how to teach CS ideas in third grade using tools such
>> as Etoys Smalltalk, UCBLogo, and Turtle Art, all of which are packaged
>> in Sugar for the OLPC XO and other Linuces. Etoys and UCBLogo are
>> available for numerous platforms, and Turtle Art is written in Python,
>> making it easy to port. We already have more than 40 years experience
>> teaching programming in elementary schools with Logo and Smalltalk.
>>

> I'm glad you say "CS ideas" and not "CS"

Yes, it's all about Powerful Ideas, not about topics, the way
curricula are currently written. I have a page on Kindergarten
Calculus somewhere...Aha!

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Kindergarten_Calculus

<SNIP SNAP SNORUM>

--
Edward Mokurai Cherlin
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name, and