[Edu-sig] another edu-sig page textbook (suggesting to AR)

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:40:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

> Hmm, "science fair", how about a "Python Fair" along those lines.  It could be
> a "Programming Fair" but that might lead people to think it was only for CS
> majors.  It might be "Computer Fair" that I think that opens up the event too
> broadly.

> How about an alarm clock you can program with simple script, to make it work
> the way you want - a different snooze delay, with per-day differences in
> behavior for your work schedule.

When I was working on my dissertation, I programmed an alarm clock I
called "two-timer" which since have been used by many people with
attention issues. You program two different time periods, say, 20
minutes for writing and 10 minutes for cleaning the house; the
(pleasant) alarm goes off after 20, 10, 20, 10 and so on minutes and
you know to switch between your two tasks. It had sliders, because
when one is tired or nervous time periods need to be shorter. I used
it with some math anxious kids, too - it seems the very thought of
switching between activities frequently is enough to keep them calm
and focused. I need to move the thing to cell phones so I can carry it
with me. There are many little "social apps" like that you could make.

--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

http://www.naturalmath.com social math site
http://www.phenixsolutions.com empowering our innovations