[Edu-sig] K12 Open Minds Reminder - Sessions announced!

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Tue Sep 2 02:06:17 CEST 2008

Kirby,

>> If you find anyone pounding the podium about SQL pre-college, hooked
>> with Venn Diagrams etc., maybe put them in touch with me?  Even better
>> if they're using Python for hands-on, with SQLite or whatever.

Will do... I didn't have time to respond to your original post on SQL in
  K12, but I like the idea. While I tend to use Python to explore the
idea of "what is code and what can you do with it?", I can also see the
power of using SQL to explore the area of "what is data and how can you
manipulate it?" It seems to me that the two different paths could end up
in similar places in the end.

>> Your 'Open Source Options for Teaching Programming K-12' is probably
>> somewhat like my Python Briefing in part

As to my talk, it will end with using Python (and other languages) in
project based courses, preferably interacting with real OSS projects,
but will begin in elementary with things like Scratch and Pico boards,
which let very young kids write code that interacts with the real world,
something pretty powerful at all ages.

Again, I wish we could have you there (and others on this list)... maybe
next year.

Cheers,
Vern

This time for sure!