[Edu-sig] CP4E in a third world country

Winston Wolff winstonw at stratolab.com
Tue Oct 7 18:18:47 CEST 2008

Miguel-

Here's a PDF of what we try to teach in the first few courses using
Scratch.  We cover the "Programming Skills I " in 20 hours of lab
time.  Programming Skills II takes much longer.

	http://stratolab.com/static/misc/Stratolab%20Programming%20Skills.pdf

-Winston

On Oct 7, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Winston Wolff wrote:

> Hi Miguel-
>
> We teach computer programming with Python at Stratolab, but I like
> to start with Scratch first.  ( scratch.mit.edu )  Scratch builds
> the higher level programming concepts without the burden of learning
> syntax.  Scratch programmers learn problem solving, if-then logic,
> loops, an variables.  With Scratch, students get something working
> quickly, which builds their motivation.  Then the ones who really
> enjoy it can move on to Python.  Many are content using Scratch,
> which I think is fine.  Also Scratch's hardware requirements are
> relatively modest.
>
> For the kids who move to Python, graphics are a great way to go--it
> provides a lot of positive feedback.  PyGame is rather low level.  I
> use my own MoonUnit wrapper around PyGame ( http://stratolab.com/misc/makebot
>  ), but LiveWires is similar.
>
> As far as teaching tips, do you live anywhere near NYC?
>
> -Winston

Winston Wolff
Stratolab - Computer Courses for Teens and Kids
(646) 827-2242 - http://stratolab.com