[Edu-sig] Algebra 2

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 03:51:03 CEST 2008

2008/10/3 michel paul <mpaul213 at gmail.com>:

[SNIP]

> Here's the same solution in Python:
>
> x0, y0 = input('Enter x0, y0 --->')
> x1, y1 = input('Enter x1, y1 --->')
> rise = y1 - y0
> run = x1 - x0
> if rise == 0: print 'y =',  y0
> elif run == 0: print 'x =',  x0
> else:
>     m = rise/run
>     b = y0 - m*x0
>     print 'y =', m, 'x +', b

I find that this (and even more so for the other solutions below) not
as readable as it should be.  For me, if/elif/else really gain from
being indented, and blank lines can also add to divide the program
into "functional unit".  So I would write instead:

x0, y0 = input('Enter x0, y0 ---> ')
x1, y1 = input('Enter x1, y1 ---> ')

rise = y1 - y0
run = x1 - x0

if rise == 0:
    print 'y =', y0
elif run == 0:
    print 'x =', x0
else:
    m = float(rise)/run   # avoid dividing two integers ...
    b = y0 - m*x0
    print "y = %f x + %f" % (m, b)

with perhaps some thoughts given to having a set number of decimal
places for the floats.

Just a thought...

André