[Edu-sig] introduction

Richard Enbody enbody at cse.msu.edu
Fri Mar 21 02:49:39 CET 2008

We randomly assign within assigned labs -- the labs have 16-20
students.  We assign within labs because there is a time, the assigned
lab, when students can meet.  That is, the excuse "we couldn't meet" is
not valid.  On a subsequent assignment we roll the dice again within the
lab and ensure that the same two do not pair up again.  If a partner is
a 'no-show' we allow them to match with anyone else who is also paired
with a 'no-show'.   We have considered various matching schemes, but if
I remember correctly, random is supposed to be the best way -- as
opposed to trying to match students.

We know about the 'driver' and 'thinker' roles and that the students
should change roles.  We talk about it with students, but do not try to
enforce it.

I like your model, but it would be difficult to implement here -- too
many students have too much going on (unfortunately, for many that is a
job to help them get through school).

On your question about not having marks -- that isn't an option.  On
your question, 'what if 85% got 85%?' That would be great!  Our grading
scheme is not competitive -- if you get the points, you get the grade.
In theory, everyone could get a 4.0 (A).  My understanding is that you
need such a scheme for pair-programming to succeed.  However, with
enough students we seem to get a spread out distribution.

These questions have got me thinking!

-rich
enbody at cse.msu.edu