[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 59, Issue 6

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 05:34:55 CEST 2008

2008/6/16 Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com>:
> Hello all,

<< SNIP >>

> I noticed that there was a large gap in this area, one that used to be
> filled by BASIC books (the old BASIC games books like the ones at
> atariarchives.org especially). It seems that many kids today learn
> programming on their TI graphing calculators or learn HTML/Javascript, or
> get one of the many game creation kits out there.

Apropos of this GameMaker has been quite popular in Portland, as a
course offering, and does lead to real programming skills, from what
I've observed (I've turned down a chance to teach it myself, as I'm
just not strong with this product).

JavaScript is quite a decent way to learn programming, especially with
FireBug installed, as the web provides an obvious target for both
gaining an audience and sharing worthwhile content, i.e. any local
charity or union hall, grange or whatever, could probably use a new
web page, plus there're always those garage bands -- ah, but who will
do that poster art?  *that* takes real skill :).

Saying "HTML/JavaScript" makes a lot sense, as you'll be wanting to
embed your scripting in the XML format, plus you're in command of the
DOM, the XML you're embedded in.  It's really a hybrid, a markup with
smarts.

The TI graphing calculator... I'd not include that in a list of computer topics.

BASIC used to be it.  Salon suggests Python is *not* the successor to
BASIC, and I'd have to agree.**  This idea of "the one" that "everyone
needs to learn" is for the birds, and I hope Python never becomes
that.  Any language forced on students as a "must learn" quickly grows
to be hated.  Fortunately, Python was written for experience
programmers and may *not* be best as a first language.  Heck, learn
BASIC why not?  Or JavaScript.  Get to Python later, it's not going
anywhere.  Or Logo.  Scheme maybe...

Actually, my real position is it's good to start *sampling* Python
quite early, but then I don't go along with forcing a commitment, to
any language, on anyone below the age of legal consent.  Sounds like a
joke, but I'm basically just saying I'm against bullying, go out of my
way to protect kid freedoms (animals too -- under represented IMO,
more in my blogs).

Kirby Urner
Portland, OR

PS:  I understand that with Silverlight there might be more
client-side Python going on?  I'm likely falling behind in this area,
having been buried in other job worlds of late.  Queued:
http://blogs.msdn.com/cbowen/archive/2007/08/28/ironpython-and-silverlight-resources.aspx

**

"""
The "scripting" languages that serve as entry-level tools for today's
aspiring programmers -- like Perl and Python -- don't make this
experience accessible to students in the same way. BASIC was close
enough to the algorithm that you could actually follow the reasoning
of the machine as it made choices and followed logical pathways.
Repeating this point for emphasis: You could even do it all yourself,
following along on paper, for a few iterations, verifying that the dot
on the screen was moving by the sheer power of mathematics, alone.
Wow! (Indeed, I would love to sit with my son and write "Pong" from
scratch. The rule set -- the math -- is so simple. And he would never
see the world the same, no matter how many higher-level languages he
then moves on to.)
"""

Why Johnny can't code
BASIC used to be on every computer a child touched -- but today
there's no easy way for kids to get hooked on programming.

By David Brin
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2006/09/14/basic/index.html