[Edu-sig] Nat's report from NZ (OSCON follow-up)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:45:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> sociality.tv might be going with ML (?), plus Ruby is strong with some
> of my Saturday Academy geeks, but I'm not too worried about the fate
> of our snake, even though Nat poked fun at its cryptic error messages
> (again, Guido never claimed 8 year olds were his target audience when
> inventing this creature).

Should have done some more homework, looks like sociality.tv is set to
expire August 8.

Here's a more up to date web address:
http://tizard.stanford.edu/groups/sociality/

Related:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Kindergarten_Calculus
http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=8142

> Per a conversation with Steve Holden, I go "everything is a snake in
> Python" in my intro, because I use "snake" to mean "generic object" --
> because of all the __ribs__ (special names).  Per rms, hackers like
> these kinds of jokes, even if they're not recursive in nature (not
> saying this one isn't -- kinda like the joke in 'Cars' (everything is
> a car in 'Cars', even the bugs)).

Also:

"""
Leveraging experience with animals is another way to go (it's not either/or).

Because every object has a __rib__ cage (inheriting from object), we
might say "everything is a snake" in Python (meaning an object with
__ribs__).

Some snakes quack like ducks though.
"""

http://www.nabble.com/Python-for-Beginners-p17395508.html