[Edu-sig] web2py 1.38

Tony Theodore tonyt at logyst.com
Sat Jul 19 19:24:19 CEST 2008

> Off topic:  Why did they called it Ruby on Rails?  Seems like the greatness
> of Rails has very little to do with Ruby and everything to do with good
> program design - properly encapsulating all the details not really necessary
> for a typical web app developer.

I think it's the "on Rails" that really defines the framework. There's
always a proscribed way of doing things; you don't have to navigate and/or
understand the plethora of alternatives, just stay on track. As you observe,
it lowers the barrier for typical web apps (at least those that benefit from
the complexity of a framework).

The name "web2py" doesn't really grab my attention.  How about Rails on
> Python, or something else a little more memorable than web2py?

In my mind, web2py sums it up pretty well - Web 2.0 in Python. MVC, ajax,
trivial deployment (even back to cgi on GAE), all "web2ish" attributes. It
might interest you that it was initially called Gluon.

Just my thoughts,

Regards,

Tony