[Edu-sig] IDLE fonts

John Posner jjposner at snet.net
Mon Jul 14 03:56:11 CEST 2008

> ... Find a font that will clearly distinguish the characters O0l1Z2S5,
> and stick with it.

Amen to that, David. I'm a tech-writer in my day job, and just to make sure,
I sometimes document a command option like this:

  -l ("dash-ell")
or
  -1 ("dash-one")

This reminds me of the escape sequences for one of the font cartridges used
by the original H-P LaserJet printer (mid 1908s). The sequences were
absolutely "pessimal": full of zeroes, capital "O"s, lowercase "l"s, and the
digit "1"s. It's like they were trying hard to discourage you from using
their product!

-John