[Edu-sig] IDLE fonts

michel paul mpaul213 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 02:07:43 CEST 2008

I also show students how to change fonts and colors - and like you say, they
LOVE doing it.  But other than to tell them to be careful in changing syntax
coloring, as you don't want to lose useful distinctions of keywords and so
on, I don't really do anything special with it.  I'll be interested in your
follow up on this.  I thought your iChing unicode demo from awhile back was
amazing.

Now here's something weird I've noticed along the lines of changing fonts -
there's no way to do that using 2.5.2 in OSX?  I've been using 2.5.2 on both
my home computer (OSX) and my school-issued computer (Windows).  I just
happened to notice one day in OSX that I couldn't find any options or
preferences listed anywhere in the menus, and I was quite used to having
it.  I found that weird.  And just now I'm double-checking it, and, nope!
Nowhere.  Nada.

But here's a weird twist on that - I recently downloaded VPython for OSX.
They finally created an OSX installer, and I'm grateful.  I was having
trouble trying to get VPython going on my Mac using Fink.  For some reason I
just couldn't get it to happen.  So now, when I open VPython, the version of
Idle also says 2.5.2, but, just like you'd expect, there is an Options
section in the menu bar.  So, I change my font there, and then when I open
the standard Idle, yep, the font has changed accordingly!  Bizarre.