[Edu-sig] Suggestion for python learning

deepu john dj9027 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 04:21:24 CEST 2008

Hello,

# Had this email sent earlier, which got trapped by the spam filter as I was
not a member of edu-sig.
I have a wish and / a suggestion  which I hope will help newbies/noobies
deal with the learning curve of python.

I have a background in one of the biological sciences and had always wanted
to learn programming to do useful things in my profession. I learnt more
concepts about programming in the past few months using python than any
other programming language I tried to learn in the past. (VB.NET often
DIMmed my hope of useful programming and a cup of java often only made me
PUBLICally VOID after listening to programming STATIC (er... noise). :). I
am pretty amazed by what I can do with python just with what I have learnt
so far. Listening to some podcasts like the python 411 gives us newbies good
highlights about some features of this language. Some discussions like -
about threads, pygame, simpy, are simply just exciting to listen to.

Wished there was an audiobook by some python expert discussing and high
lighting concepts in programming using python. Since python is basically
"Executable pseudocode", why not someone create an audio book about the
basics of this language?
Or at-least a companion to an already existing book or yet to be published
book, so that newbies like us can get the highlights of what is to be
expected when we sit down at the computer and try out the code. It would
have been extremely useful to have an audiobook about python which one can
listen to while sitting in a tram, waiting at a doctors office, walking on
the treadmill, driving a car.... The same topics that will take about an
hour to read through in a book can be listened through in 10 or 15 minutes.

Hope someone will do it soon, that then python would become the only
programming language that can be learnt by listening!

Thanks for listening

:Deepu John