[Edu-sig] web2py 1.38

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Wed Jul 9 21:58:33 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

I posted web2py version 1.38 (www.web2py.com). It is a web framework
originally developed at DePaul University as a teaching tool. If you
are familiar with Django or Rails than you know what this is about.

web2py is very easy to use because you unzip it, click it, and it
starts web server, database, and you do everything through the web
interface. Python is in the package and has no dependencies.

The original idea behind web2py was not that of teaching how to use a
web framework but to make the role of the framework so easy and
transparent that it can be used as a tool for teaching intro to
python programming. Even students without programming experience
understand the concept of URL, Input/Output, storage. In web2py a
function is called when you visit a url. The output is the resulting
web page. They edit the code as they edit a wiki page. Instead of
building sample loops over prime numbers, you can as easily loop and
build an RSS feed, etc.

If you want to use it let me know and I will send you a draft version
of the book.

Massimo