[Edu-sig] What is the Best Way to use Python in the Windows Command Line

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 05:04:06 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM, David MacQuigg
<macquigg at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:
> At 09:59 AM 12/13/2008 -0500, csev wrote:
>
>>I generally do not like IDLE - it uses a socket which can get messed
>>up, bugs in the student's code seem to mess up the IDE, when a program
>>needs to open a data file - it is hard to force IDLE into a known
>>directory.

Path issues are endemic to computer world, but since filesystems are
trees and trees are mathy data structures...

Seems schoolish math should have more talk of trees, including DOM.

I know path issues in Java have resulted in some hair tearing in
corporate cube farms, lots of premature baldness probably.

<< GOOD ADVICE >>

> I know there are better IDE's available, but I keep coming back to IDLE.  It does what I need without a lot of clutter.
>
> -- Dave

Yeah, ditto.  So convenient, a great battery included.

At the very least I want my editing canvas able to show not-Latin-1
characters, but that's almost any GUI editor these days, including a
lowly Ubuntu terminal window running a Python shell.

Here I'm providing some SQL-related math-oriented scaffolding for
computer algebra students (probably redundant to call it that, might
shorten to just algebra i.e. puzzle-solving algorithmic stuff aka gnu
math...).

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/python/django_math.txt  (also introduces regexps)

Related screen shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3118999641/  ( note url: mvp
= most valuable player )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3119826690/sizes/o/  ( note
url:  .../mathy/trig/sin?angle=30 )

We might spend up to three weeks on something like this in the
envisioned charters, e.g. tecc-alaska.org .