[Edu-sig] interactive python tutorial online (as tryruby)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:17:49 CET 2008

Just to be less ranty, as a math teacher (albeit a gnu one), I share
an investment in matrix and vector notation, sigma notation, Riemann
sum notation and all the rest of it (set notation, trig notation -- in
which the diagrams are almost glyphic, a bridge to a more right
brained approach, post-Bourbaki...), however I think what Python
brings to the table is precisely it's *differences* i.e. it's not even
pretending to emulate these older language games (in contrast to
Mathematica, which very much is (MathCad also, the one I use more,
Maple in the background)).

Sigma notation is a do-loop.  Indefinite (aka infinite) series are
likewise generators -- go as far as you like, in the direction of
great precision.  Yes, computers have memory limits but so do
meatspace mathematicians, who just right dot dot dot (...) when their
hands get tired.

Here's an ancient essay at my website giving the flavor of the role I
favor for Python:
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/overcome.html

Plus this one about calculus:
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/catenary.html

I wrote those a long time ago, but I'm still looking at a lot of the
same tools in today's classroom:  a ray tracer, a real time graphics
engine, a well stocked library of math modules, lots of fun IDEs.  The
only really big change is the advent of Py3k and its more
Unicode-aware design.  Plus the new IDEs are looking pretty
revolutionary.

Kirby
OCN.4d