[Edu-sig] What is the Best Way to use Python in the Windows Command Line

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Mon Dec 15 12:03:52 CET 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 9:59 , csev wrote:

> Is there a way to use an icon and then start the icon an have the
> current working directory (i.e. to open data files) be the same
> directory as the Python file?  And then is there a way to get the
> output to stop at the end and not disappear when the program finishes?

What I do is the following:

1) I install the enthought version of Python, which puts an icon
called Pylab on the desktop.  This is short for ipython -pylab
2) I have the students make a work folder, and copy the Pylab
shortcut to the folder
3) I have them change the "Start In" property of the icon
4) (if you don't want all the numerical stuff, then delete the -pylab
option while you're in properties)

then you can use whatever text editor you want (I use SciTE, because
it comes with EPD, but you have to change the default tab settings).
The shortcut, when run, will pull up the ipython commandline.  then
the students just type:

run myprog.py

whenever they want to run things.

It seems to work ok, and you don't have to muck with the path.

				bb
--
Brian Blais
bblais at bryant.edu