[Edu-sig] Thoughts about IDLE

michel paul mpaul213 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 01:50:50 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 9:09 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

What frustrates me in class though, is I'll get low on the projected
screen, having entered a bunch of session variables, identified a lot
of stuff, and then I'm sort of stuck to the lower edge, unable to wipe
to the top and/or mouse blank command line to the top (drag
operation).

I have found it useful to resize the shell and a programming window so each
occupies one half of the screen.  Above in the programming window is text I
want to present, and below is the Shell waiting for interaction.

I like the idea of intermingling text and executable code.  Using triple
quoted blocks, you can use a programming window like an extremely primitive
text editor, and I appreciate the simplicity of that.  I put down the
thoughts I want to express as simple text, as in email, and I break up the
text blocks with lines of code to illustrate what I'm trying to say.  So
instead of commenting being used to explain code, I use executable code to
illustrate text.

I think it makes more sense to have the presentation text be the top window
and have the Shell be the bottom window, but then you can get the same
boxed-in thing happening at the bottom.  But the half-windows can easily be
dragged around.  The arrangement isn't rigid.  So if I need the Shell for
extended interaction I can drag it to center or expand it, but if I want to

That's what's so cool about pure and simple Python right out of the box.
You can use it in all kinds of ways.

- Michel